Blog / 3 Ways To Clean A White Rug | Myhome Carpet Cleaning
Posted on Monday, April 6th, 2020
A beautifully clean white rug can make for a lovely addition to your home. But as you may be well familiar, keeping a white rug clean can be more difficult than you’d imagine. Whether you have white natural wool rugs or faux fur, it’s important to know how to clean a white rug properly to ensure they’re looking vibrant and healthy (free of mould, bacteria, dust and more).
Here are our 3 simple ways on how to clean white rugs at home – we’ve got a method for cleaning natural white wool rugs, how to clean white fur rugs made from faux fur, and the situations where you need a quick spot clean!
MyHome Carpet ensures beautifully cleaned carpets every time – guaranteed! If you’re ever unsatisfied with our services, we’ll redo the job again free of charge.
How to Clean White Wool Rugs
White rugs made from natural wool are go-to choices for homeowners due to their high quality and durability. It’s also great for those with sensitive skin allergies! However, white wool rugs require much more care than other synthetic wool types.
White wool rugs trap in a lot of moisture and can take a lot longer to dry, which is why it may not be ideal for you to completely soak white wool rugs (especially if they’re particularly large or if the weather is quite cold).
Here are our recommendations on the best way to clean white wool rugs
- First, vacuum for any dust, dirt, and other remains on your white wool rug
- Fill a bucket with cold water and pour in a capful of laundry detergent (bonus points if it’s especially good for wool)
- Soak and wring out a cloth using that cleaning solution, and gently test a small area of the wool rug to see if there are any colour changes.
- If everything looks alright, proceed to lightly dampen the rug using the cloth – wringing and soaking the cloth frequently
- After cleaning the entire wool rug, grab a sponge and blot the excess moisture away
Allow your white wool rug to dry. Open up your windows and keep the wool rug away from direct sunlight.
How to Clean White Faux Fur Rugs
White faux fur rugs are becoming a trendy look for modern home decor ideas, and for good reason. White faux fur not only looks sleek and adds a sophisticated touch to your room, but they’re incredibly soft and comfortable. The only drawback to owning white faux fur rugs is that it easily gets dirty and requires a high level of maintenance to keep it looking vibrant and fresh.
Avoid putting white faux fur rugs in the laundry machine (as convenient as that sounds!) since the hot water and washing will likely rip out a lot of the fur.
Instead, see our helpful tips on how to clean white faux fur rugs that you can try out at home today.
The best way to clean white faux fur rugs
- Vacuum for any dirt and dust
- Fill a large bucket or tub with lukewarm water and add washing detergent. Start with 2-3 tablespoons for standard rugs – adjust according to how big or small your rug is.
- Fully submerge your white faux fur rug into the water and gentle massage.
- Once finished, remove the rug and blot out as much water as possible using clean towels – but do not wring the faux rug.
- Leave out to dry for a day that is out of direct sunlight.
MyHome offers exceptional cleaning services including carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning, rug cleaning, and fabric protection.
How To Spot Clean White Rugs
If you’ve managed to make a small spill onto your white rug – whether it’s tea, coffee, wine, or anything else – then you’ll need to act quick and spot clean the area before the stain penetrates any deeper. Here’s how to spot clean white rugs that works:
For spot cleans, we recommend filling a bucket of water and detergent made especially for wool rugs. Only add in the ratio recommended and never add detergent straight onto the wool rug.
With a clean cloth, soak it in the cleaning solution, wring it out, and proceed to scrub in a gentle blotting motion. Don’t rub vigorously as this may cause the stain to spread even more.
If all of this sounds like it’ll take up far too much time out of your day, or you just simply want an expert to get your white rugs cleaned from the first try, then your best bet is to get in touch with the carpet cleaning professionals at MyHome.
Our experienced cleaners are well-versed in removing all types of stains, spills, discolourations and more out of a variety of carpet and wool types. For more information and a free quote, contact the team at MyHome today.
Filed under: Blog